Do you love to tell stories about inspiring athletes and coaches, great displays of teamwork, and local kids working hard on and off the field? This isn`t your average sports reporter job. Sure, we shoot games and show highlights - but our main goal is to tell great feature stories that will appeal to the hard-core sports fan as well as the casual viewer.
The Burlington-Plattsburgh television market is home to the Olympic Village in Lake Placid, NY, and many ski resorts that are home to world-class athletes. We cover the University of Vermont, SUNY Plattsburgh and a number of other area colleges. High school sports is a big focus all year round, including a extended high school football segments in the fall.
The Weekend Sports Anchor/Reporter is part of a two-person sports department, and carries a lot of responsibility. The Anchor/Reporter will serve as the primary presenter of weekend sports stories and other content for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to the viewer. The rest of the week, the Anchor/Reporter will enterprise and produce feature stories, shoot highlights, and assist with the production of the day`s sports segments. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a professional newsroom, but talented first-timers will be considered. A passion for local sports coverage and the drive to produce great content as a team is a must!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Produces and presents sports reports for all platforms.
- Ensures that all sports content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
- Writes and delivers sports stories in a clear and concise manner.
- Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating sports programming and other content.
- Responds to breaking sports events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
- Works closely with the sports team to develop comprehensive sports coverage.
- Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Shoots video for sports reports.
- Sets up, composes and executes video shots. Maintains video equipment.
- Edits video clips for television broadcasts and digital platforms.
- Writes stories for the website and other digital platforms.
- Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
Requirements and Skills:
- Bachelor`s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field.
- Comprehensive knowledge of sports and sports related activities.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
- 1-2 years` experience in sports reporting or anchoring preferred.
- Superior on-air presence.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
- Valid driver`s license with a good driving record.
- Flexibility to work any shift.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply to: https://nexstar.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/5939
Nexstar Broadcasting is an equal opportunity employer.
Job posted by an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER